NSA shooting: Police shoot, stop SUV at Fort Meade security gate


The driver of a black SUV attempted to access the NSA campus at Fort Meade, prompting police to fire on the vehicle before it struck a concrete barrier at the Anne Arundel County installation, federal officials said.

NSA officials said “several individuals” were taken to hospitals, but that initial information indicates none of the injuries were a result of gunfire.

The FBI is investigating.

The incident took place around 7 a.m. at the Canine Road gate, where authorities surrounded a handcuffed man after a black SUV ran into a concrete barrier.

“The situation is under control and there’s no ongoing security or safety threat,” an NSA statement said.

President Donald Trump has been “briefed on the shooting at Ft. Meade,” and the White House offers thoughts and prayers with those who have been affected, spokeswoman Lindsay Walters said.

The Associated Press is reporting that one person is being held in connection with the incident.

All other gates to the campus are open, Fort Meade officials said.

Maryland State Highway Administration reopened MD 32 before 9 a.m. after it had been shut down in both directions at Canine Road in response. Fort Meade officials urged motorists to take alternate routes and “expect long delays.”

The Anne Arundel County Fire Department assisted the Fort Meade Fire Department and cleared the scene around 8:45 a.m., spokesman Russ Davies tweeted.

Residual traffic delays were expected, according to officials. School buses that use Route 32 and surrounding roads might be delayed Wednesday morning, Anne Arundel County Public Schools said.

Anne Arundel County Public Schools spokesman Bob Mosier said Meade Senior High School is operating as usual.

The FBI tweeted it “is aware of the incident at Fort Meade” and is sending personnel to the scene.

In March 2015, one person was killed in a firefight that erupted after a car with two people on board tried to ram a gate at Fort Meade.

In that incident, the driver ignored commands to stop, the NSA said, and barriers were deployed.

The vehicle accelerated, the NSA said, and agency police opened fire. The vehicle crashed into a police vehicle.

One of the vehicle’s occupants died at the scene, the NSA said. The other was taken to a local hospital with a gunshot wound to the chest, according to a firefighter who was at the scene.

—This story will be updated.

Baltimore Sun reporters Kevin Rector and Ian Duncan, Baltimore Sun Media Group reporter Rachel Pacella and the Associated Press contributed to this story.

This news collected from :Source link